Wednesday, July 9, 2014

It's Go Time

The dreams have started. The ones where we show up to Grenada and our apartment isn't ready and we forgot to bring all of our luggage with us. My heart is going off like a machine gun just thinking about it. It would seem that my biggest fear is being unprepared. And I wasn't even a Girl Scout! Or is that only Boy Scouts that are prepared? I really do love Girl Scout cookies though. 

Regardless, I am a nervous wreck over moving to a different country. Not that I’m pooping my pants out of terror (although there is a little bit of that going on), I just find myself making so many lists of what needs to be packed/stored/donated and as soon as I cross something off, 2 more items pop up in its place. This was supposed to be simple when we limited ourselves to 6 suitcases. Instead, I wake up screaming and sweating and wondering whether we should bring our golf clubs or not. I mean, I realize that these are the decisions that make the world go round, but it’s a little excessive.  And then I get too overwhelmed and just end up going to the pool. You see my dilemma? I worry and stress and worry and can’t handle the worry, so I go have fun and then I have more to worry about.

The good news is, we sold both of our cars. The bad news is, we no longer have any cars. Billy’s parents have graciously allowed us to use their truck until we move, so it really has worked out fine. Except when I try to park the truck in the Vivint parking lot.

I think that I’m probably worrying about all these tiny little details so that I get distracted from the real problem (are you surprised? I’m a psych major, dude). We are going to miss our family and friends so damn much. 2 years is a really long time. 2 years ago, I was listening to Taylor Switft’s “22” on repeat and trying to relate, although I didn't have that much in common with it because I got married at 20, and so the song was more appropriately tied to when I was 17-19.  But, I digress. 

We had a taste of how our lives will be over the 4th. None of our family was in town and we failed to plan our camping trip in time, so it was just the two of us at home. We went hiking up Rock Canyon and then realized that it was 99°and we are golfers--not hikers, so we went home and took a rather peaceful nap. We watched fireworks with some friends up in the foothills, which was amazing because aerial fireworks are now legal in Utah. And so, we were able to watch hundreds of firework shows all throughout the valley at once. I’m not just saying this because I work at Vivint, but Todd Pedersen’s fireworks smoked Carrie Underwood’s. No pun intended. It was a wonderful 4th, but just a little odd because I associate holidays with lots of family and golf and kids running around and trying to take a nap but it’s too noisy, so you’re pissed off, but it’s all wonderful because it’s your family! I guess we will have to get used to the quiet in this new phase of life.

Life is new and grand  and messy and loco and we'll be ready for it with our without our luggage. And here are some pictures from our 4th of July--sorry they are mostly selfies, remember how we were abandoned? 

Too hot to smile normally. We hid in a cave to try and scare people...but no one came by.
He just couldn't wait.
Diggin' the fireworks, while listening to "Firework". Thanks Katy.
Oh and some shots of our 15 minutes of fame. Or 2.7 seconds on TV. Our friend Bruce Pitcher was on ABC's show Extreme Weight Loss. He lost 201 pounds and dealt with some really crappy stuff that happened to him as a child. Watch his episode if you get a chance--truly inspirational. My only regret is that they caught my insanely huge mouth at its largest. Embarrassing.







No comments:

Post a Comment