Monday, October 6, 2014

Feel Goods

Are you sick of me whining that I live on an island and that I get to see my husband every 3rd Tuesday? Or are you sick of me bragging that I live on an island and my husband is the hardest worker I know and oh, so sexy? I am too, so this is completely off topic.

I’ve been into horoscopes lately. Not like I’m obsessed or anything, but do you ever find yourself thinking, “Why in the hell does this person act the way they do?”.  Or, you see a couple and wonder, “How does their relationship even work?” and “Thank goodness that BYU exists, so that these two weirdos could find each other”. Well, I do—quite often actually (psych major in the house). And then, because I can’t feel good about actually spying on them, and because I’m an above average stalker, I research Facebook for their birthday and start reading their horoscopes. I realize I will now be blocked from people’s information on Facebook. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife. But let me tell you, these readings are probably extremely accurate since they’re on the Internet. And since it’s scientifically based on freethinking people and planets and stars. Those are just stellar combinations (get it?). But it’s actually pretty entertaining. I started out looking at mine and Billy’s readings and I liked what it said about us, so naturally I’m hooked. We are both Aquarius, in case you were wondering…yes, really, just like all of the coolest people you know! I then looked at my sign related to my ex-boyfriend’s signs and it kind of nailed down exactly what happened in all of my failed relationships. They were the ones in big, red, bold letters—worst relationship matches EVER!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very logically minded person, and I realize that most of what is out there is crap. Although, after doing numerous empirical studies, I've come to the conclusion that my mother is, in fact, psychic (I'll post about this another time). But it’s kind of really fun to do some soul searching and hear these phrases about how your personality is supposed to be and think “yes, I’m kind of like that” or “no, I’m not like that at all” or “I wish I was more like that”. It’s not anything to base your life around or make important decisions on, but it does provide some introspection, which we could all use, every once in a while. And it fills up my rainy days quite nicely. I know. I really need to get a hobby.

In all seriousness, introspection could do the whole wide world or world wide web some good. I think that we too often feel we are always right and the qualities that we possess are the most important ones to have. It gets worse with social media, because there are all sorts of articles out there about the best way to parent, the best ways to have sex, the best ways to think, and the best ways to drink a pumpkin spice latte. But if we take a step back and look at our actions and see them in relation to the person we want to be, I feel that it gives us a better perspective than simply “liking” everything that we agree with. If it were me writing all the articles, I would say “The best way to drink a pumpkin spice latte is to throw it down the drain because pumpkin is disgusting unless it’s in a pie with a whole carton of cool whip”. What I’m trying to get at is that we are all different and we are all trying our hardest to do the right thing. But maybe YOUR right thing isn’t the same as someone else’s right thing. So, let’s all try to understand issues from other points of view and stop with the bashing and trolling and overanalyzing and assumptions. Because frankly, I’m exhausted by all the negative posts and opinionated rants. And yes I realize that this is an opinionated rant, so sue me.

http://unearthedcomics.com/comics/love-me/
PS: I wrote this post before LDS General Conference, when I was feeling really down about all the negative vibes coming from my computer. But then, today I’m like on top of the world, and wondering why I ever got so upset with humankind. So, either General Conference is the bee’s knees and can change your whole perspective on life, or I’m bi-polar.


So, incase you missed General Conference, here are some things to cheer you up:
The Honorable Thomas B. Griffith (aka my dad) was made into a bobble head.

Suck it, Utah-in-the-fall.
I'm sure you have already seen this video, but I watch it 4 times a day.

Tried to make potatoes with greek yogurt the other night.The one on the left is plain greek yogurt (which is great in potatoes), the one on the right is vanilla greek yogurt (which is not so great in potatoes). Lesson learned--quit trying to be healthy and just add sour cream. And my friends are liars because they said the potatoes weren't that bad.


Have I mentioned we own a scooter in the middle of rainy season?

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment